Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Personal Statement

I have spent the last several hours trying to write my personal statement to be placed in my portfolio. At first I couldn't find the words. Words never come easy to be. "This is impossible," I thought to myself. Then I remembered the quote from Walt Disney and the words came flying out of my fingertips, so to speak. So I wanted to share it with you and get your honest opinions before it hits the printer. So here it is.....




I have always been inspired by the arts and the creativity and stories that lie within them. However, I used to not think that I could make something as remarkable as, well let’s say, Walt Disney. I would say, “That’s impossible.” Walt Disney once said “It’s kinda fun to do the impossible.” I first saw this quote in high school and it has stuck with me ever since and inspired my career path.

Though I have never exactly wanted to become an animator or film producer, I have always known that my life’s work would be one with a creative twist. As a young girl, my grandmother encouraged me to do arts and crafts. I dreamed of becoming many things “when I got older,” such as a photographer, graphic artist and architect. I knew that I was meant to be an artist and use my creative mind for to stimulate someone else, whether it was their eyes or mind.

In high school I had two teachers that made a difference in my life. Mr. Albertson was my photography teacher. In his class, I was first introduced to graphic design and the amazing things you could do in Photoshop. That is when I decided to pursue a career as a graphic artist. After high school, I obtained an Associates of Arts in Fine Arts. I was on my way to getting a Bachelors of Science in Graphic Design when I took a moment to reflect on where I really wanted to go and what the job market was like.

That is when I remembered Mr. Callahan. Mr. Callahan was my drafting teacher. In his class I learned the basics of drafting by hand and designed a two story house that I call my “dream house.” At the time I didn’t consider drafting as a career but I did think that it was interesting and I really enjoyed the detailed work. As my education came to a crossroads I inevitably chose to embark on a journey to an Associates of Arts in Computer Drafting and Design at ITT-Technical Institute.

Over the last two years at ITT-Technical Institute I have learned a multitude of objectives that will help me in the industry of Drafting and Design. I have become very familiar with AutoCAD 2008 and AutoCAD Architecture 2008. I have also become fairly proficient with other programs such as AutoDesk Inventor and VIZ. In addition to the programs I have also learned the standards of architectural, mechanical and civil drafting and designing. Not only have I honed my technical skills I have also expanded on my personal skills and I have grown as a professional individual.

Although I am dedicated to my career path as a drafter and designer I have not forgotten my roots. I have found a happy medium for graphic design in my spare time as a hobby and creative outlet. I also find that it keeps me grounded in my creative style and allows me to keep a fresh outlook on my work and life. With all my experience I now consider myself an artist. A Designer, to be exact. If you would have told me 10 years ago that I would be where I am now. I would have said “impossible.” Like Walt Disney said, “It’s kinda fun to do the impossible.”

No comments:

Post a Comment